Sleep apnea is considered a medical condition characterized by abnormal breathing during sleep. Patients that suffer from sleep apnea experience extended pauses in breathing while asleep. These temporary pauses in breathing can lead to lower quality sleep and affect the body’s oxygen supply. This in turn can cause serious health issues. Chiropractic care is beneficial for sleep apnea. At East Lake Chiropractic and Medical Center in Saint Cloud, FL, we have been providing our patients with chiropractic care to relieve the symptoms of sleep apnea for many years.
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
There are several symptoms of sleep apnea, including:
- Excessive sleepiness in the daytime
- Morning headaches
- Disruption in breathing can cause a person’s breathing to become labored or stop for up to a minute at a time
- Problems thinking clearly
- Limited attention span
- Dry mouth
- Snoring, gasping, and chocking
- Frequent nighttime urination
Causes of Sleep Apnea
Multiple factors have been found that can increase a person’s chances of developing sleep apnea:
- Obesity: 60% of sleep apnea cases are directly related to obesity since it can cause narrowing of the airway.
- Anatomical characteristics: The positioning and size of a person’s neck, tongue, jaw, tonsils, and other tissues can affect airflow.
- Family history: People who have one or more family members with sleep apnea are at a higher risk of developing it themselves.
- Smoking cigarettes: People who smoke, mainly heavy smokers, are at a higher risk of developing sleep apnea than those who don’t smoke.
- Sleeping on your back: This position makes it easier for tissues around the airway to causes blockages and collapse.
Chiropractic Treatment for Sleep Apnea
If your sleep apnea is due to spinal misalignment or subluxation, our chiropractor can help relieve the symptoms of sleep apnea. When a person’s spine is not in optimal health, many health conditions can arise such as anxiety and even heartburn. Chiropractic care has been shown to decrease a patient’s sleep apnea symptoms which can help other issues disappear as well thus improving a patient's quality of life. When you first visit our office, our chiropractor will assess your musculoskeletal system to determine whether or not spinal misalignment is contributing to your sleep apnea. If it is, we will create a chiropractic care plan tailored to your needs.
Contact Our Clinic in Saint Cloud, FL for Sleep Apnea Treatment
Call East Lake Chiropractic & Medical Center today at (407) 957-9995 for more information or to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor.